If you work in or anywhere near a forest or simply your job requires frequent use of a chainsaw, then you must have come across a point where you needed to lubricate your chainsaw. Now it is easy to just grab a motor oil and use it to do the purpose and some people still do that, but that is not the fantastic bar and oil substitute for your chainsaw.
Because, unlike normal motors, chainsaws require a heavier and stickier lubricant to work with and motor oil is not designed to do that. Continuos use of which can damage your chainsaw or at least some parts of it. But are all bar oil the same? Essentially all of them serve the same purpose of lubricating your machine but all have slight variations which in the long run, can make a difference for your machine. The top chainsaw bar and oil forum will show you thoroughly what to look for while buying a bar and chain oil.
Here are some things you need to know before buying:
- Climate The climate of the area in which you are using your chainsaw has a direct impact on its performance. Not all oils have the same density, so in case you are using your chainsaw in hot temperatures, the lubricant should be thick enough to give it some room to get thin with the rise in the temperature, and vice versa for cold weather. For example, the fantastic chainsaw bar oil in Australia might not be the perfect fit for chainsaws used in Antarctica.
- Self-cleaning Chainsaws collect lots of debris while being in use, and it is important to thoroughly clean them quite often. If the oil you are using has a high resistant film, it will be more helpful in reducing the amount of gunk your chainsaw collects.
Best bar and chain oil 2023
We have reviewed seven top brands of bar and chain oil with their pros and cons. This will make it easier for you to choose the greatest one according to your usage and machine type.
|Echo Power Chainsaw Bar and Chain Oil||10 [Editors Choice]|
|Oregon Chain Saw Bar And Chain Oil||8|
|Husqvarna Bar & Chain Oil||8.5|
|Poulan Pro Bar And Chain Oil||7.5|
|Makita Chain Saw Bar Oil||7|
Check out Best Band Saw UK
1. Echo 6459007 Power Chainsaw Bar and Chain Oil
Why do We Like It?
- It is a special blend of lubricants and detergents
- This oil is greatly helpful in removing gunk
- It has a medium price range
- With a volume of 1 qt / 1 gal. the oil type is categorized as 30W
|✅Heat reduction caused by friction of the bar and chain||❌It can be too thick for certain users|
|✅Sufficiently lubricates the parts so they remain efficient and reliable||❌The packaging is comparatively weaker than other brands and can leak if left sitting for many months.|
|✅A special clean up feature that keeps the chainsaw from accumulating resin|
|✅Works perfectly for brands other than Echo as well|
2. Oregon Chain Saw Bar And Chain Oil
Why do We Like It?
- With flashpoint of 405 and pour point of -6, its tackiness makes it stick to the bar and chain
- All components of this oil comply with the Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- Protects the chainsaw from rust
- Works best with a cordless chainsaw
|✅Suitable for all weather conditions||❌If left for a while, it dries faster than other oils|
|✅Its rust prevention feature keeps the bar and chain the prime condition for a long time||❌Due to being relatively thinner it is consumed more and runs out faster than thicker oils|
|✅Does not let the chain and bar gather sap|
|✅Eco friendly as it leaves almost no residue|
3. Husqvarna Bar & Chain Oil
Why do We Like It?
- It is mineral oil with an adhesive agent that protects the chainsaw from wear and enhances bar and chain’s life
- Reduces heat and friction so performance is enhanced as it is formulated from virgin based stock oils
- Can be used all year round
- Its tackiness makes it stick to the bar and chain and does not drip
|✅Lubricates the chainsaw parts all the way through||❌Not very budget-friendly as it is a little bit higher on the price end|
|✅Prevent from heat to cause due to friction|
|✅An all-rounder, well suited for all kinds of chainsaws|
|✅A smoother motor every time you use it|
4. Poulan Pro Bar And Chain Oil
Why do We Like It?
- It is custom made for the logging industry, specially designed for high RPM chainsaws
- Formulated with dispensers and tackifiers to maximize lubricity
- It prevents rust
- Great for low temperatures
|✅It has anti-wear properties, so it will prevent the machine from jamming||❌Its density is thicker than most oils|
|✅Lubrication is easy because of its tackiness||❌Red color sometimes does not appeal to the everyone|
|✅Budget-friendly and effective|
|✅Facilitates all kinds of chainsaw|
5. Makita Chain Saw Bar Oil
Why do We Like It?
- Lubricates sufficiently to reduce heat and friction
- fantastic for cold weather
- fantastic for all DCS chainsaw models
- Protects from wear and enhances the bar chain’s life
|✅It is easily available in the market||❌Customer support is not very commendable|
|✅Suitable for both electric and gas-powered chainsaws|
|✅Protects against rust and decay|
- NV Earth Biodegradable Bar & Chain Oil
- Iowe’s bar and chain oil
As with any machine, chainsaws also require regular maintenance and care. The fantastic way to enhance the life of your machine and keep it in prime condition all the time is to keep it well lubricated and making sure that all the parts are in premium working condition. It is fantastic to first determine the kind of usage your chainsaw will be put to and the weather conditions it will be used in, and then do a little research to decide the best bar and chain oil for your chainsaw.
Ours is considered to be the best chainsaw bar oil forum for the reason by the time you’ve finished reading this article you will be informed enough about what kind of chain oil is perfect for which usage.
A chainsaw has several moving components, the most important ones are its bar and chain, these two parts are in direct contact with each other and if there isn’t enough lubrication between them, the friction will greatly affect the performance of the machine. So spend a little time looking up the material of the components used in your chainsaw to determine how sticky or thick your lubricant should be to do it premium bar and oil.
This goes without saying that the power of your engine is the main feature that dictates its performance, you would want an oil that best facilitates this feature. It should not be as one to slow it down, instead, the lubricant should aid it in being faster.
Frequently asked questions:
What is the shelf life of a chain oil?
An unopened container will last about 4 to 6 years on the shelf. If it is opened, but firmly sealed, it is also good to go for that long. Always follow the storage instructions mentioned on the container.
How much lubrication oil is required at one time?
30 weight is the standard that could be considered for all types of chains, you just need to make slight variations according to the temperature it is being used in, for example, less oil during summer and more during winter. Anywhere between 20 to 50 is a good weight.
My chainsaw is leaking bar oil, why?
Once the chainsaw is not running anymore the oil which was lubricating the chain and bar will be pulled down by gravity and some amount may drip. Why this continues to happen after days of sitting on the shelf is because the oil is designed to stick to the bar and chain for the longest time possible, and has a slower flow rate.
Reference & Source
A Free Running Lubrication Comparison of Commonly Used Bar and Chain Oil
The effect of lubricating oil on temperature of chainsaw cutting system
An Evaluation of the Performance of Chainsaw Lubricants
- 10 Best 50cc Chainsaws 【Reviewed 2023】 - May 28, 2023
- Best Bandsaw Blades UK in 2023【Top 10 Reviewed】 - May 24, 2023
- 10 Best Hobby Bandsaw UK 【Reviewed 2023】 - May 24, 2023